Thursday 4 April 2013

*The characters of Venice

I spent my last week in Italy visiting friends I met in my first Erasmus trimester. We made a trip to several cities and villages, you will read about in during the next days.
Today, I want to tell you about the theatre characters of Venice. I bet you all know the famous Venice carnival masks. They all represent a certain character that was illustrated in past street theaters. The most famous one in Casanova - the Venezian womanizer! His mask is the one with the sharp mouth. Another famous character is the most beautiful and amazing woman in the world- Colombina. Her mask is the female one that just covers the eyes. 
The characters have always been the same, just the stories changed in every theatre show. The Venezian are very proud of this tradition and the masks are worn until today's modern carnival in Venice in February. 
And, which character are you? 

xxx Heidi


No comments:

Post a Comment